Data-Pop Alliance is looking for a part or full-time Program Intern to join our team in New York City beginning in March. The position is paid and will be based in NYC.
Data-Pop Alliance is a global coalition on Big Data and development created by the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, MIT Media Lab, and Overseas Development Institute that brings together researchers, experts, practitioners and activists to promote a people-centered Big Data revolution through collaborative research, capacity building, and community engagement.
We focus on five thematic areas:
- Politics and Governance
- Official and Population Statistics
- Peacebuilding and Violence
- Climate Change and Resilience
- Data Ethics and Literacy
Data-Pop Alliance is an interdisciplinary coalition of partners and affiliates with world class expertise in computer science, statistics, development economics, political science, conflict analysis, environmental sciences, epidemiology, and more, led by a core team based and incubated in New York City by ThoughtWorks NYC. Our leadership is composed of Emmanuel Letouzé as Director and Co-Founder based in NYC, Patrick Vinck as Co-Director and Co-Founder based at HHI, Prof. Alex ‘Sandy’ Pentland as Academic Director at MIT Media Lab, Claire Melamed and Emma Samman as Co-Directors for ODI, and Phuong Pham as Co-Director for HHI.
Our current portfolio of projects involves working with Colombia’s National Statistical Office on research and training activities, co-organizing and hosting events with various private and public partners, developing a series of training workshops and pedagogical material on Big Data and development, as well as writing and publishing empirical research and white papers on several Big Data and development-related topics with funding from various donors. During the United Nations 70th General Assembly, we were involved in the launch of the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data, the International Responsible Data Group, and side events such as Beyond Data Literacy, and Strengthening Capacities in Developing Countries. This past year we have produced inputs to the World Development Report 2016, coordinated an event in Paris in December during COP21, and much more.
You are interested in a career in international development or global affairs. You are pursuing opportunities to learn the ins and outs of development work and gain exposure to the work of the nonprofit, technology, academic, civic engagement, and development sectors.
You are committed and meticulous, creative and autonomous, curious and precise. You have great social and interpersonal skills and thrive in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environments. You are eager to work with all members of our team to gain the broadest possible appreciation and understanding of our work.
What You Will Do
As our Program Intern you will:
- Lead knowledge management of our work through curation of outputs and resources into an electronic library
- Maintain the new Data-Pop Alliance website and ensure the integration of new content and interfaces
- Manage Data-Pop Alliance’s social media accounts and presence
- Stay on top of current events in Big Data and development and curate our calendar
- Assist in layout, design and editing of key publications and presentations
- Work out of our incubators’ offices at ThoughtWorks NYC under the supervision of the Operations and Engagement Manager
Please send interest and inquiries to Natalie Shoup, Operations and Engagement Manager, at email@example.com, and include in your email:
- A few lines about why you are applying and think you would be a great fit for the position
- A detailed CV highlighting your relevant experiences