Paid Internship Opportunity: Data Analyst Intern
Data-Pop Alliance is looking for a Data Analyst Intern. We are an international nonprofit created in 2013 out of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), the MIT Media Lab and the Overseas Development Institute (ODI). We bring together researchers, experts, practitioners, and activists to change the world with data through three pillars of work: diagnosing local realities and human problems with data and AI; mobilizing capacities, communities, and ideas towards more data literate societies, and transforming the systems and processes that underpin our societies and countries.
DPA has partnered with organizations such as the Inter American Development Bank, UNDP, UN ESCWA, GIZ (German development agency), the Vodafone Institute, Oxfam México and other key international stakeholders to develop projects in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, the MENA region and Asia. We have also deployed 16 workshops in 10 different countries. To learn more about DPA, please visit our website or read our 2019-2020 report here.
Effective dates: 3 months full-time.
Location: Tunisia, or other location with [UTC +1, UTC +2].
Scope of work: Reporting to the Research Director, Data Science, in France and working closely with the Project Managers in MENA, Sub Saharan Africa and LATAM, the Data Analyst Intern will produce research in the fields of data, development, Covid-19, gender, and others. Amongst others, the Data Analyst is expected to fulfill the following duties:
|Access and Analysis of Data Sources (60%)|
|Development of |
relevant algorithms and models (20%)
|Other Tasks (20%)|
The applicant for the Data Analyst (Intern) position has to meet the following requirements:
- Recent graduate (or student in last semester of university/master) in statistics, applied mathematics, physics, data science, economics, or other related technical disciplines.
- Strong interest in research at the intersection of international development and data.
- Ability to work with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to multitask, while being proactive, analytical and organized.
- Familiarity and experience with qualitative and quantitative research and analysis.
- Ability to derive policy implications and recommendations from the data analyses.
- Sound knowledge of public policy processes and some economics knowledge.
- Experience with scripting and coding.
- A strong grasp of Python and/or R is required.
- Interest to work in the fields of global development or crisis management.
- Experience presenting work to both technical and non-technical audiences is desired.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic (fluent in both). (French and/or Spanish is a bonus). Comfortable with remote teams and processes.
Candidates should be able to work independently, manage their time wisely, and meet deadlines. They should be detail-focused, reliable, professional, and possess strong research, writing, editing, and analysis skills, as well as excellent communication, and interpersonal skills.
Acquire experience in an international organization, working with a wide range of specialists in a high level research environment.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a CV, a cover letter with two academic or work references, and one writing sample (in English) to email@example.com with the subject line “Data Analyst Intern” by November 8th, 6:00pm EST.
Data-Pop Alliance employs personnel without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap or financial ability. While remaining alert and sensitive to the issue of fair and equitable treatment for all, Data-Pop Alliance has a special concern with the participation and advancement of members of four designated groups that have traditionally been disadvantaged in employment: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.