Data-Pop Alliance is looking for a full-time Design & Media Specialist based in New York City, hired by MIT Media Lab. The position will begin as soon as possible and last 2 months with possibility of extension.
About UsData-Pop Alliance is a global coalition on Big Data and development created by the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, MIT Media Lab, and Overseas Development Institute that brings together researchers, experts, practitioners and activists to promote a people-centered Big Data revolution through collaborative research, capacity building, and community engagement. We focus on five thematic areas:
- Politics and Governance
- Official and Population Statistics
- Peacebuilding and Violence
- Climate Change and Resilience
- Data Ethics and Literacy
About YouYou have a passion for communications, design, media and technology, and you want to apply your skills to a development and policy project. Ideally you are also interested and experienced in data-related initiatives. You master some of the latest media and web-based tools and platforms and want to continue building your expertise. You are an avid reader and a great storyteller. You are committed and meticulous, creative and autonomous, curious and precise. You can multitask and connect dots between different fields and requirements to design and implement a comprehensive communications and media strategy. You have great social and interpersonal skills and thrive in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environments. Ideally you can read and write in several languages, including computer programming languages.
What You Will DoAs our Design & Media Specialist you will:
- Design all our products including papers, presentations, and training material
- Help craft Data-Pop Alliance's visual identity by managing our social media presence and creating visualizations for our website and presentations
- Maintain the Data-Pop Alliance website and ensure the integration of new content and interfaces
- Stay on top of current events in Big Data and development and curate our calendar
- Work out of our incubators’ offices at ThoughtWorks NYC
- A few lines about why you are applying and think you would be a great fit for the position
- A detailed CV highlighting your relevant experiences
- Any samples of previous design work – website, publications, videos, etc.