Paid Internship Opportunity: Research and Content Intern - Latin America
Data-Pop Alliance is looking for a Research and Content Intern. We are an international nonprofit created in 2013 out of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), the MIT Media Lab and ODI. We bring together researchers, experts, practitioners, and activists to change the world with data through three pillars of work: diagnosing local realities and human problems with data and AI; mobilizing capacities, communities, and ideas towards more data literate societies, and transforming the systems and processes that underpin our societies and countries.
DPA has partnered with organizations such as the Inter American Development Bank, UNDP, UN ESCWA, GIZ (German development agency), the Vodafone Institute, Oxfam México and other key international stakeholders to develop projects in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, the MENA region and Asia. We have also deployed 16 workshops in 10 different countries. To learn more about DPA, please visit our website or read our 2019-2020 report here.
Dates: 3 months, full-time.
Location: Preferably Colombia or Mexico (open to other Latin-American countries).
Scope of Work
Reporting to the Project Managers in Colombia and working closely with the project and research manager. The Research Intern will produce research in the fields of data, development, Covid-19, gender, and others. Amongst others, primary activities for the Research and Content Intern include:
|Content creation (50%)|
- Recent graduate (or student in last semester of university) with a degree in International Relations, Public Policy, Political Science, Economics, or other social science fields.
- Strong interest in research at the intersection of international development and data
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish (fluent in both).
- Ability to work with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to multitask, while being proactive, analytical and organized.
- Familiarity and experience with qualitative and quantitative research and analysis (especially if the candidate has proven knowledge of R and/or Python and/or WordPress).
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Comfortable with remote teams and processes.
Candidates should be able to work independently, manage their time wisely, and meet deadlines. They should be detail-focused, reliable, professional, and possess strong research, writing, editing, and analysis skills, as well as excellent communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Acquire experience in an international organisation, working with a wide range of specialists in a high level research environment.
- Autonomous and remote-friendly workplace culture.
- Globally conscious culture invested in the ethical use of data and technology to solve real problems.
- Peer-to-peer learning and development.
- A lifetime community of like-minded changemakers.
$500 USD (monthly)
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a CV (one page), a cover letter with 2 academic or work references (800 words max), and one writing sample (2 pages max, in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Research and Content Intern – LATAM” by November 9th, 6:00pm EST.
Data-Pop Alliance employs personnel without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap or financial ability. While remaining alert and sensitive to the issue of fair and equitable treatment for all, Data-Pop Alliance has a special concern with the participation and advancement of members of four designated groups that have traditionally been disadvantaged in employment: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.