Job Opportunity: Communications and Design Intern (Paid Position)
Data-Pop Alliance is looking for a Communications and Design Intern. We are an international nonprofit created in 2013 out of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), the MIT Media Lab and ODI. We bring together researchers, experts, practitioners, and activists to change the world with data through three pillars of work: diagnosing local realities and human problems with data and AI; mobilizing capacities, communities, and ideas towards more data literate societies, and transforming the systems and processes that underpin our societies and countries.
DPA has partnered with organizations such as the Inter American Development Bank, UNDP, UN ESCWA, GIZ (German development agency), the Vodafone Institute, Oxfam México and other key international stakeholders to develop projects in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, the MENA region and Asia. We have also deployed 16 workshops in 10 different countries. To learn more about DPA, please visit our website or read our 2020-2022 report here.
Dates: 3 months, full-time.
Scope of Work:The applicant will be reporting to, and supported by, the Communications Manager and Communication Officer, and will provide support through the following key responsibilities:
Website and design (50%)
Communications and outreach (50%)
- Recent graduate (or student in last semester of university) with a degree in graphic design or communications, or relevant experience in the field.
- Strong interest in human rights, gender, social inequality, public policy, and more.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish (fluent in both), Portuguese and French highly desirable.
- Ability to work with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to multitask, while being proactive, analytical and organized.
- Intermediate to advanced management of Adobe Suite programs, such as Illustrator and InDesign.
- Familiarity with qualitative and quantitative research and analysis (especially if the candidate has proven knowledge of R and/or Python and/or WordPress).
- Video editing skills are considered a plus
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Comfortable with remote teams and processes.
Candidates should be able to work independently, manage their time wisely, and meet deadlines. They should be detail-focused, reliable, professional, and possess strong research, writing, editing, and analysis skills, as well as excellent communication, and interpersonal skills.
USD $500.00 / month
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a CV, a cover letter with two academic or work references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications and Graphic Design Intern” by August 27th, 6:00 pm EST. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so early application is strongly encouraged.
Please be aware that any incomplete submissions will not be considered. Also, rename each document you’ll submit with your name, the position and the type of document you are submitting. Ie. FIRSTNAME LASTNAME_Comms Intern_CV
Data-Pop Alliance employs personnel without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap or financial ability. While remaining alert and sensitive to the issue of fair and equitable treatment for all, Data-Pop Alliance has a special concern with the participation and advancement of members of four designated groups that have traditionally been disadvantaged in employment: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.