Job Opportunity: Data Science Intern (Remote)
Data-Pop Alliance (DPA) is looking for a Data Science Intern with skills in data science and an interest in development of policy analysis. We are an international nonprofit created in 2013 out of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), the MIT Media Lab and ODI. We bring together researchers, experts, practitioners, and activists to change the world with data through three pillars of work: diagnosing local realities and human problems with data and AI; mobilizing capacities, communities, and ideas towards more data literate societies, and transforming the systems and processes that underpin our societies and countries.
Dates: 3 months, full-time
Scope of Work
The Data Scientist intern will report and work closely with the Research Director and the DPA Data Science Team.
As a Data Science Intern, you will:
|2. Programming (80%)||
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Data Engineer or any other related field is required. A Master’s degree in computer science, statistics, or related fields is a plus.
- Highly proficient and experienced in Programming languages and statistical computing skills, that is, fluency in Python.
- Proven experience with Natural Language Processing Algorithms.
- Proficiency in English (able to write and deliver conferences). French, Arabic or Spanish are highly desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- A self-starter, disciplined, driven, eager to learn, grow, and make an impact.
- Availability to travel (only if necessary and according to the current COVID-19 situation).
- Working experience applying data science to social science research and/or development field is desirable.
- Experience working with public, international agencies / donors, and/or non-profit is desirable, with a focus on “data for social good” initiatives and projects.
Candidates should be able to work independently, manage their time wisely, and meet deadlines. They should be detail-focused, reliable, professional, and possess strong research, writing, editing, and analysis skills, as well as excellent communication, and interpersonal skills.
500 USD per month
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a CV, Cover Letter, and 2 references to email@example.com with the subject line “Data Scientist Intern Application” by September 30th, 2022 at 6:00pm EST. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis so early application is strongly advised. Only applications submitted entirely in English will be considered.
Data-Pop Alliance employs personnel without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap or financial ability. While remaining alert and sensitive to the issue of fair and equitable treatment for all, Data-Pop Alliance has a special concern with the participation and advancement of members of four designated groups that have traditionally been disadvantaged in employment: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.