Job Opportunity: Project and Research Officer
Data-Pop Alliance is looking for a Project and Research Officer with skills in qualitative and quantitative analysis and evaluation to join our “Sustainable Livelihoods” program. We are an international nonprofit created in 2013 out of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), the MIT Media Lab and ODI. We bring together researchers, experts, practitioners, and activists to change the world with data through three pillars of work: diagnosing local realities and human problems with data and AI; mobilizing capacities, communities, and ideas towards more data literate societies, and transforming the systems and processes that underpin our societies and countries.
Dates: Immediate start. 3-month trial period with longer-term contract to follow, based on performance.
Location: Remote work.
The Project and Research Officer will report and work closely with Project Managers and Directors to carry out the following scope of work:
- Complete research tasks as assigned for subjects including, but not limited to, data governance and ethics, data initiatives for Covid-19, and broadly, on Data4Development topics.
- Conduct literature reviews and background research. (This may include reading and summarizing external studies and reports related to our work).
- Find, organize, and analyze qualitative and quantitative data.
- Prepare, edit & revise memos, briefs, reports, and presentations on diverse topics.
- Provide support and/or lead drafting and compiling of deliverables (may include Inception Reports, Evaluation Reports, Socioeconomic Assessments, Research Reports, etc)
- Conduct and/or lead desk reviews, including systematic literature reviews on assigned subjects
- Develop methodologies for the assessment, monitoring or evaluation of specific projects, including strategic and impact evaluations
- Conduct strategic and impact evaluations for international organizations and national governments
- Investigate research methodologies, including for the creation of project proposals and/or to orient existing work
- Edit, revise, and suggest revisions for ongoing research and project documentation.
- Scope of current data initiatives in Latin America and other settings where DPA is present.
- Contribute to data visualization projects, if needed.
Project Support (30%)
- Assist with organization, development, and quality assurance of the project.
- Organize the project work plan, timeline, deliverables and liaise with DPA operations and administrative staff for the proper development of the project.
- Participate and co-lead meetings with other DPA researchers and key partners to follow up on project advances.
Content Creation (10%)
- Create content based on interviews and outreach with our current network of researchers and partners from existing, future and past projects to be published on our blog and shared in social media.
- Propose and write content for the blog on a periodic basis.
- Translate (Spanish-English) project documentation (including reports, articles, blogs) when necessary
- Research or Project Officer with at least 1-3 years of relevant professional experience in the area of digitalization for sustainable development and/or evaluation of public policy.
- Proven experience in quantitative and qualitative analysis (proven experience in the use of data analysis software such as Stata, R, NVivo a plus).
- Exposure to and/or experience in the design and implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) systems is highly desirable.
- Proven leadership ability, including the ability to lead small groups, motivate and develop the skills of others.
- Knowledge, working experience, and interest in the sustainable development field.
- Proven ability to work in high paced diverse work environments.
- Proven ability to engage with senior public officials.
- Ability to handle work on multiple projects at once, pay attention to detail and effectively manage your time.
- Experience working with grants and managing donors is preferred.
- High interpersonal, communication, problem-solving, analytical and adaptability skills.
- Fluent in English and French (excellent writing and communication skills in both). Working proficiency or more in Arabic or Spanish is highly desirable.
Competitive and based on experience.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit the documents listed below firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Quantitative_Project Officer” by February 4th 2022 at 6:00 pm EST. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis so early application is strongly advised.
- A 1-page writing sample with a quantitative analysis on any topic related to development, you could send mixed methods analysis as long as we can tell clearly that you have conducted qualitative analysis. File name should be “Qualitative sample_[Applicant’s Name]”.
- Curriculum Vitae. File name should be “CV_QuantitativePO_[Applicant’s Name]“.
- Cover letter: (max 4.5K characters excluding spaces) detailing:
- Why are you interested in working with DPA?
- How will your experience contribute to our work?
- Provide a brief description of your experience in terms of: semi-structured interviews, focus group discussions and survey data collection and analysis in the area of development/humanitarian work. File name should be “Cover Letter_Project Officer_[Applicant’s Name]”.
Please also include in the body of the email:
- 2 references.
- Salary expectation.
Please be aware that any incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Data-Pop Alliance employs personnel without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap or financial ability. While remaining alert and sensitive to the issue of fair and equitable treatment for all, Data-Pop Alliance has a special concern with the participation and advancement of members of four designated groups that have traditionally been disadvantaged in employment: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.