Job Opportunity: Project and Research Officer (MENA Region)
Data-Pop Alliance is looking for a Project and Research Officer with skills in qualitative and quantitative analysis and evaluation. We are an international nonprofit created in 2013 out of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), the MIT Media Lab and ODI. We bring together researchers, experts, practitioners, and activists to change the world with data through three pillars of work: diagnosing local realities and human problems with data and AI; mobilizing capacities, communities, and ideas towards more data literate societies, and transforming the systems and processes that underpin our societies and countries.
Dates: Immediate start. 3-month trial period with longer-term contract to follow, based on performance.
Location: Remote work; based in Tunisia, Senegal, or MENA region, strongly preferred.
The Project and Research Officer will report and work closely with Project Managers and Directors to carry out the following scope of work:
Project Support (35%)
- Research or Project Officer with at least 1-3 years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven experience in quantitative and qualitative analysis (proven experience in the use of data analysis software such as Stata, R, NVivo a plus).
- Exposure to and/or experience in the design and implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) systems is highly desirable.
- Proven experience co-leading and supporting administrative processes, budgets, and operations.
- Proven leadership ability, including the ability to lead small groups, motivate and develop the skills of others.
- Knowledge, working experience, and interest in the sustainable development field.
- Proven ability to work in high paced diverse work environments.
- Proven ability to engage with senior public officials.
- Ability to handle work on multiple projects at once, pay attention to detail and effectively manage your time.
- Experience working with grants and managing donors is preferred.
- High interpersonal, communication, problem-solving, analytical and adaptability skills.
- Fluent in English and French (excellent writing and communication skills in both). Working proficiency or more in Arabic is highly desirable.
Competitive and based on experience.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit the documents listed below email@example.com with the subject line “Project Officer” by August 13 at 6:00 pm EST. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis so early application is strongly advised.
- A 1-page writing sample with a qualitative analysis on any topic related to development, you could send mixed methods analysis as long as we can tell clearly that you have conducted qualitative analysis. File name should be “Qualitative sample_[Applicant’s Name]”.
- A 1-page writing sample with quantitative analysis, should you have experience in this area as well. Please include the topic of research, your evaluation questions, methodology, etc. Graphs and their titles can be added in the annex and don’t count towards the character limit. File name should be “Coding_Project Officer_[Applicant’s Name]“.
- One coding sample, in any format you use (Stata, R, Python or an Excel file with formulas you’ve used for quant analysis). File name should be “Quantitative sample_[Applicant’s Name]“.
- Curriculum Vitae. File name should be “CV_Project Officer_[Applicant’s Name]“.
- Cover letter: (max 4.5K characters excluding spaces) detailing:
- Why are you interested in working with DPA?
- How will your experience contribute to our work?
- Provide a brief description of your experience in terms of: semi-structured interviews, focus group discussions and survey data collection and analysis in the area of development/humanitarian work. File name should be “Cover Letter_Project Officer_[Applicant’s Name]”.
Please also include in the body of the email:
- 2 references.
- Salary expectation.
Please be aware that any incomplete submissions will not be considered. Also, rename each document you’ll submit with your name, the position and the type of document you are submitting. Ie. yourname_Project Officer_CV
Data-Pop Alliance employs personnel without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap or financial ability. While remaining alert and sensitive to the issue of fair and equitable treatment for all, Data-Pop Alliance has a special concern with the participation and advancement of members of four designated groups that have traditionally been disadvantaged in employment: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.