Job Opportunity: Research Intern (Paid Position)
Data-Pop Alliance is looking for a Research Intern. We are an international nonprofit created in 2013 out of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), the MIT Media Lab and ODI. We bring together researchers, experts, practitioners, and activists to change the world with data through three pillars of work: diagnosing local realities and human problems with data and AI; mobilizing capacities, communities, and ideas towards more data literate societies, and transforming the systems and processes that underpin our societies and countries.
Dates: 2 months, full-time, with possibility of extension. Starting date October 1st 2021.
Scope of Work
Reporting to the Project Managers, the Research Intern will produce research in the fields of data, development, economic, social and cultural rights, SDGs, governance, democracy, latin america and regional development, and others, as well as generate content for the project. Among others, primary activities for the Research Intern include:
- Support the Project Manager and Project Officers with research to develop analytical desk reviews and literature reviews (using available documents, articles, reports and secondary data) to understand Haiti’s current socioeconomic and cultural situation.
- Support the assessment of Haiti’s current policies, strategies and actions that their government has implemented/adopted to progress towards achieving the SDGs and MDGs.
- Support with drafting policy briefs to communicate findings and evidence-based policy recommendations to support Haiti’s government to fulfil the 2030 agenda for sustainable development.
- Edit, revise, and suggest revisions for ongoing research and project documentation.
- Support the content creation of policies, reports and research papers.
- Support the Project Manager and the Project Officer with the deployment of a workshop for the discussion of the initial results of the consultation with a view to its finalization, with key government institutions.
2. Data Collection and Analysis
- Support and assist the data scientists by mapping relevant secondary data sources of information and collecting quantitative data.
- Support and assist the research team in the analysis of secondary and primary data, both quantitative and qualitative.
- Fluency in French (native speaker or a C2 proficiency diploma) is required.
- Recent graduate of a master’s degree programme (or student in last semester of university) with a degree in International Development, Economic Development, Economics, Social Studies or other social science fields.
- Strong interest in research at the intersection of international development, SDGs, MDGs, COVID-19, and human rights.
- Demonstrated experience in Haiti’s current affairs, Latin America, Regional development, SDGs and Public Policy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to work with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to multitask while being proactive, analytical, and organized.
- Familiarity and experience with qualitative and quantitative research and analysis (especially if the candidate has proven knowledge of Stata, R, Python and/or N Vivo).
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Comfortable with remote teams and processes.
Candidates should be able to work independently, manage their time wisely, and meet deadlines. They should be detail-focused, reliable, professional, and possess strong research, writing, editing, and analysis skills, as well as excellent communication, and interpersonal skills.
Remuneration: 500 USD per month
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a CV, a cover letter with two academic or work references and one writing sample (in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Research and Content Intern – Haiti” by September 30th, 2021, 6:00 pm EST. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so early application is strongly encouraged.
Please be aware that any incomplete submissions will not be considered. Also, rename each document you’ll submit with your name, the position and the type of document you are submitting. Ie. FIRSTNAME LASTNAME_Research and Content Intern Haiti_CV
Data-Pop Alliance employs personnel without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap or financial ability. While remaining alert and sensitive to the issue of fair and equitable treatment for all, Data-Pop Alliance has a special concern with the participation and advancement of members of four designated groups that have traditionally been disadvantaged in employment: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.