Job Opportunity: WordPress Web Developer (Short-Term Contract)
Data-Pop Alliance is looking for a Web Developer with previous experience developing websites in WordPress. We are an international nonprofit created in 2013 out of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), the MIT Media Lab and ODI. We bring together researchers, experts, practitioners, and activists to change the world with data through three pillars of work: diagnosing local realities and human problems with data and AI; mobilizing capacities, communities, and ideas towards more data literate societies, and transforming the systems and processes that underpin our societies and countries. To learn more about our work, check out our “Overview and Outlook 2021-2023”.
Dates: Approximately 20-30 hours of work, over a 3-week period. Starting as soon as possible.
Scope of Work
Reporting to the Communications Manager and Design Officer. The Web Developer will be working primarily on the back-end of our website, in order to improve its current functionality. Note that we have already identified key sections of the website that need improvement. The activities involved include:
- Identify best plugins that can be integrated with WordPress / Elementor for different content page templates: Publications, Blog, Country webpages, Jobs page, Contact page, Main Menu, Footer, etc. Content must be able to be updated by the internal Comms team in the future.
- Collaborate with our Web Designer and Communications Officer to define elements of each template and design, following our image guidelines.
- Upload new content (developed by the Comms team) to new page templates.
- Provide training to Web Developer in regard to how to continue using/updating plugins.
- Fluency in Spanish, and ideally with an advanced level of English OR fluent in English only.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field (e.g., Computational Sciences)
- Proven experience working with WordPress plugins, developing websites, working with CSS, html, etc.
- Ability to work with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to be proactive, propositive and organized.
- Comfortable with remote teams and processes.
Candidates should be able to work independently, manage their time wisely, and meet deadlines. They should be detail-focused, reliable, professional, and possess good communication skills.
400-500 USD, to be discussed.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a CV, samples of their work (links to websites or portfolio), and two work references (in English or Spanish) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Web Developer” by Friday August 20, 2022, 6:00 pm EST. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so early application is strongly encouraged. Please be aware that any incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Data-Pop Alliance employs personnel without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap or financial ability. While remaining alert and sensitive to the issue of fair and equitable treatment for all, Data-Pop Alliance has a special concern with the participation and advancement of members of four designated groups that have traditionally been disadvantaged in employment: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.