Data-Pop Alliance is seeking a full or part-time Program Assistant to support its research, training and policy activities in Latin America and Africa in particular. The Program Assistant is expected to be based in New York City, and will work out of the Data-Pop Alliance office located at ThoughtWorks NYC: 99 Madison Ave, New York.
Effective dates: September 18, 2017 – September 18, 2018.
Full or part-time (4-5 days a week)
- About Data-Pop Alliance
Data-Pop Alliance is a global coalition working on the applications and implications of Big Data for development around the globe, created in 2014 by the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), MIT Media Lab, and Overseas Development Institute (ODI), joined in 2016 by the Flowminder Foundation as its 4th core member. Data-Pop Alliance brings together researchers, experts, practitioners, and activists to promote a people-centered Big Data revolution through collaborative research, capacity building, and community engagement. As of 2017, Data-Pop Alliance has implemented $3m in projects in more than 10 countries with over 20 technical partners, with a focus on Latin America (Colombia, Chile, Mexico) and Sub-Saharan Africa (Senegal, Kenya). Data-Pop Alliance is a founding member of the Open Algorithms (OPAL) Project, of the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD), and a key stakeholder of the Data Revolution, working to unleash the power of data for sustainable development and democracy.
- About your role
Reporting to the Director based in NYC and working closely with the Project Manager based in Cambridge (MA), the Program Assistant will facilitate the day-to-day administrative and financial management of Data-Pop Alliance’s activities through the following key responsibilities:
(1) Administrative responsibilities (about 30%)
- Ensuring liaison with core members and key partners on all administrative and financial matters, including but not limited to contracts, meetings and expenses (see below)
- Facilitating HR and recruitment processes, including draft ToRs and/or (sub)contracts
- Supporting staff and consultants’ travels, follow-up on visa procedures, etc.
- Handling the Director’s travel and meeting calendars
(2) Financial responsibilities (about 30%)
- Managing budgets and expenses
- Handling invoices, expense claims, etc.
- Assisting in preparing financial reports to partners and/or donors
(3) Coordination responsibilities (about 30%)
- Coordinating and joining team calls and meetings as needed, preparing agendas in coordination with the Director and Project Manager, taking and circulating summary notes
- Updating the project tracker on a weekly basis in collaboration with the Project Manager
- Maintaining the Google Drive up-to date, including updated versions of projects administrative, financial and legal documents
- Keeping track of exchanges with partners, including meetings, calls, events and prospective projects
(4) Outreach and Communication responsibilities (about 10%)
- Assisting in developing and possibly implementing the new communication strategy and communication content for website and social media
- Acting as initial point of contact for media and other inquiries
- Skills and experience required
You are / have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in business administration or management, social science, or a related field
- A minimum of two years experience in a similar role, in small start up teams preferred
- A self-starter, disciplined, driven, eager to learn, grow, and make an impact
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize assignments and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment (while keeping your sense of humor a plus)
- Excellent organizational skills throughout; ability to get Skype to work and knowledge of technology a plus
- An interest and experience in or strong desire to learn about data for development and program design
- Successful experience working in a multi-cultural environment with partners and people of different backgrounds and levels of seniority
- Management of Spanish and/or French is a plus
Competitive, based on experience.
Potential for professional growth into a new position after year 1.
- Recruitment process
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Program Assistant,” by 7 September 2017, 6:00pm EST.
In the cover letter paragraph, please include:
– Educational background
– Languages spoken
– 3 references
– Part-time or full-time
– Salary requirements