Job Opportunity: Research and Administrative Intern (Paid)
Data-Pop Alliance is looking for a Research and Administrative Intern. We are an international nonprofit created in 2013 out of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), the MIT Media Lab, and ODI. We bring together researchers, experts, practitioners, and activists to change the world with data through three pillars of work: diagnosing local realities and human problems with data and AI; mobilizing capacities, communities, and ideas towards more data literate societies; and transforming the systems and processes that underpin our societies and countries.
DPA has partnered with organizations such as the Inter-American Development Bank, UNDP, UN ESCWA, GIZ (German development agency), the Vodafone Institute, Oxfam México and other key international stakeholders to develop projects in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, the MENA region, and Asia. We have also deployed 16 workshops in 10 different countries. To learn more about DPA, please visit our website or read our 2020-2022 report here.
Dates: 3 months, full-time.
Scope of Work:
Reporting to a DPA Project Manager, the Research and Administrative Intern will provide support to two ongoing projects focused on (1) evaluating the impacts of technologies and digital data in the humanitarian sector and (2) evaluating the European Union’s digitalisation strategy as a core pillar of its international cooperation agenda. The intern will produce and synthesize key research, will provide administrative support to the ongoing projects, and will provide support to projects in the fields of data, development, Covid-19, humanitarian technologies and international cooperation. Amongst others, primary activities for the Research and Administrative Intern include:
|Administrative tasks (20%)|
Participate in meetings with other DPA researchers.
Other tasks and duties as required.
- Recent graduate or undergraduate (or student in last semester of university) with a degree in International Relations, Journalism, Political Science or other social science fields
- Strong interest in research at the intersection of humanitarian assistance, international cooperation, technology and data
- Familiarity and experience with qualitative and quantitative research and analysis
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English (French or Spanish desirable but not required)
- Ability to work independently and with people from different cultural backgrounds
- Ability to multitask, while being proactive, analytical and organized
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Comfortable with remote teams and processes
Candidates should be able to work independently, manage their time wisely, and meet deadlines. They should be detail-focused, reliable, professional, and possess strong research, writing, editing, and analysis skills, as well as excellent communication, and interpersonal skills.
$500.00 / month
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a CV, a cover letter with two academic or work references and one writing sample (in English) to email@example.com with the subject line “Research and Administrative Intern” by May 7th, 6:00pm EST.
Data-Pop Alliance employs personnel without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap or financial ability. While remaining alert and sensitive to the issue of fair and equitable treatment for all, Data-Pop Alliance has a special concern with the participation and advancement of members of four designated groups that have traditionally been disadvantaged in employment: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.