Data-Pop Alliance is seeking a full-time Senior Data Scientist based in Mexico City.
Effective dates: April 15 through July 15, with a possible extension (depending on fit and funding). Full-time.
Reporting to the Director and working closely with the Researchers based in Mexico City, Bogotá and Santiago, and the Chief Operations Officer (COO) based in Bogotá; the Senior Data Scientist will manage and execute data science projects and oversee all research-related activities, lead the development and delivery of technical tutorials and contribute to strategy and representation of the organization, through the following key responsibilities:
Research and knowledge (40%)
- Oversee and ensure effective delivery of research components across projects, i.e. through quality assurance.
- Conduct data analysis as needed in the different research projects (on topics such as inequalities, crime and violence, migration, etc.) and provide technical support to team members as needed.
- Act as DPA’s internal focal point for state-of-the art (big) data research in the field of public policy and sustainable development, and pro-actively conduct prospective research to remain at the forefront of trends most suitable to DPA’s vision. The goal is to continuously improve DPA’s data analysis expertise, creating leading expertise in the field of (big) data for sustainable development through the leveraging of new and creative data-sources, and employing conventional statistical methods, as well as the latest in artificial intelligence methods.
- Other duties, as deemed fit for the proper execution of the responsibilities above.
Trainings and technical tutorials (30%)
- In close collaboration with the Research Scientist in Santiago, co-lead the development and delivery of the technical tutorials for DPA’s professional workshops series.
- As needed, develop complementary materials for tutorials on: web data collection and analysis, machine learning on satellite imagery, statistical methods for correcting selection bias.
- Develop content for new technical tutorials, as needs arise in projects / through donors’ requests.
- Deliver technical tutorials in English and/or Spanish (French is a plus), across different cities and countries.
Strategy and representation (30%)
- Lead innovation within the organization and, as such, define strategic research axis and approaches aiming to generate innovative information for public policy and sustainable development purposes through the utilization of (big) data and analytics.
- Proactively participate in defining and carrying out development objectives and priorities for the entire organization, providing (technical) insights for fulfilling the organization’s vision and objectives, in close collaboration with Chief Operations Officer (COO) and Director.
- Define priorities and support the development of in-house expertise in ‘data for social good’ and innovative research methodologies.
- Support / provide inputs to grant proposals, reporting documents to donors, etc.
- Ensure representation of Data-Pop Alliance in (donor) meetings / calls and conferences as needed.
Skills and experience required
You are / have:
- MA mandatory and PhD degree desirable in Computer Science, Statistics, Data Science, Economics (with a strong component of applied methods), or any other related field. A Bachelor’s degree in computer science, statistics, etc. is a plus.
- At least 3-4 years of working experience applying data science to social sciences research, i.e. social inequalities, crime and violence, migration, etc.
- Knowledge and experience in the field of data engineering and information systems.
- Highly proficient and experienced in scripting languages and rapid prototyping skills, that is, fluency in Python, R, SQL, Scala and Java, among others.
- Experience working with public, international agencies / donors, and/or non-profit is desirable, with a focus on “data for social good” initiatives and projects.
- Bilingual English / Spanish mandatory (able to write and deliver conferences, tutorials etc. in both languages). French is highly desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- A self-starter, disciplined, driven, eager to learn, grow, and make an impact.
- Successful experience working in a multicultural environment with partners and people of different backgrounds and levels of seniority.
- Availability to travel.
Salary/Benefits commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Senior Data Scientist,” by April 5th, 10:00pm EST. In this brief cover letter paragraph, please include: educational background, languages spoken, and 2 references.
PLEASE NOTE THAT INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED