Job opening: Chief Operations and Strategy Officer (closed)
Data-Pop Alliance is looking for a Chief Operations and Strategy Officer.
We are an international nonprofit created in 2013 out of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), the MIT Media Lab and ODI. We bring together researchers, experts, practitioners, and activists to change the world with data through three pillars of work: diagnosing local realities and human problems with data and AI; mobilizing capacities, communities, and ideas towards more data literate societies, and transforming the systems and processes that underpin our societies and countries.
Dates: August 1, 2020 – July 31, 2021, with a 3-month trial period.
Location: Mexico City (work permit needed).
Reporting to the Director and working closely with the Senior Data Scientist, the Communications and Partnerships Officer and the Program Operations Officer, both based in Mexico City, the Chief Operations and Strategy Officer will oversee organizational strategy and lead daily administrative/organizational activities through the following key responsibilities:
Scope of Work
1. Strategic responsibilities (50%)
- Provide leadership in the effective planning, development, management, and integration of Data-Pop Alliance’s activities (development of concept notes and proposals, fundraising, partnership development, project management (Diagnose, Mobilize, Transform related-projects), workshops and events, and project/products communication).
- In close coordination with the Director and the Senior Data Scientist, lead the strategic planning of Data-Pop Alliance’s activities in Latin America, Africa, and other regions.
- Develop a fundraising strategy through the delivery of high-quality funding proposals. Lead and coordinate fundraising activities, including grant applications, prospective meetings, networking, etc.
- In close coordination with the Director, develop concept notes and technical and financial proposals with the support of the Partnerships Officer, Senior Data Scientist, and Researchers, ensuring that all proposals are aligned with DPA’s strategic plan.
- Develop new partnerships with major national and international organizations such as Oxfam Mexico, Center for Mathematical Modeling (Chile), etc., as required to consolidate research and capacity-building activities, as well as in-country engagement.
- Represent Data-Pop Alliance as needed in conferences, events, meetings, etc. and maintain coordination and networking relationships with the government, donors and other national and international development actors.
2. Organizational responsibilities (50%)
- Supervise and coordinate the teams based in Mexico and Colombia, by overseeing all administrative activities led by the Program Operations Officer, providing support to all Project Officers with administrative-related tasks as needed, etc.
- Manage all financial activities, including budgets, cash flow, salaries, invoice tracking, and other related tasks.
- Rigorously manage all program-related finances e.g. budget expenditure tracking and analysis with key budget holders.
- Coordinate all Human Resources related processes for the organization. Supervise contracting, policies, and team management processes.
- Actively contribute to maintaining a strong and committed team of program staff through mentoring and skills development. Foster team spirit and collaboration necessary to achieve program and organization goals.
- Supervise all projects to ensure that strategies designed and written in the project document are undertaken to a high standard.
- Perform any other duties as defined by the Director.
- Manager with at least 7-10 years of relevant professional experience.
- Master’s degree in public administration, business administration, international development, or related fields.
- Proven experience in the non-profit sector, preferably in non-profit management.
- Successful experience of program development, the project management cycle, and participatory planning methodologies, including distance management.
- Proven experience leading administrative processes, budget, and operations.
- Proven leadership ability, including the ability to motivate and develop skills of others.
- Knowledge, working experience and interest in the sustainable development field.
- Strategic vision on the role of data and technology for development.
- Proven ability to work in highly paced diverse work environments.
- Proven ability to engage with senior public officials.
- Experience working with grants, managing donors, and writing proposals.
- Experience managing budgets, and coordinating complex projects and teams.
- Excel intermediate level (knowledge of formulas, creation of work plans, budgets, tables, etc.)
- Ability to work with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- High interpersonal, communication, solving-problem and adaptability skills.
- Fluent in English and Spanish (with excellent writing and communication skills in both). Working proficiency or more in French, highly desirable.
Competitive for the sector and market; commensurate with profile and experience, circa $30-40k/year (USD), with 25 days of paid leave and social security (Mexican law).
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a 1) CV, 2) Cover Letter (indicate how your skills/experience fit our job description and why are you interested in the position) and 3) three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Chief Operations and Strategy Officer” by June 25th, 6:00pm EST.
Data-Pop Alliance employs personnel without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap or financial ability. While remaining alert and sensitive to the issue of fair and equitable treatment for all, Data-Pop Alliance has a special concern with the participation and advancement of members of four designated groups that have traditionally been disadvantaged in employment: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.