Job Opportunity: Accountant
Data-Pop Alliance is looking for an Accountant. We are an international nonprofit created in 2013 out of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), the MIT Media Lab, and ODI. We bring together researchers, experts, practitioners, and activists to change the world with data through three pillars of work: diagnosing local realities and human problems with data and AI; mobilizing capacities, communities, and ideas towards more data-literate societies; and transforming the systems and processes that underpin our societies and countries.
DPA has partnered with organizations such as the Inter-American Development Bank, UNDP, UN-ESCWA, GIZ (German development agency), the Vodafone Institute, Oxfam Mexico and other key international stakeholders to develop projects in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, the MENA region and Asia. We have also deployed over 25 workshops in 10 different countries. To learn more about DPA, please visit our website or read our “Overview and Outlook 2021-2023” report here.
DPA’s projects are managed and carried out by a core team of about 40 people, including Directors, Managers, Officers, Data Scientists, Research Assistants, and Interns.
Dates: Start date ASAP with a trial contract of 3 months, to be followed by a longer-term contract depending on mutual fit.
Location: Preferably in Mexico City, with remote work flexibility
Scope of Work
The applicant will be reporting to, and supported by, the Managing Director and the Operations Officers, and will support through the following key responsibilities:
- Managing in-house accounting and bookkeeping, including tracking project expenditures
- Monitoring project budget creation and maintenance
- Investigating and reconciling discrepancies in accounts receivable and payable, as well as payroll
- Overseeing all payroll and contractor payments
- Auditing purchase orders and invoices
- Maintaining accurate records, including journals, ledgers, receipts, and invoices
- Developing and providing detailed reports on the status of projects and the organization’s finances at large, as needed
- Acting as a liaison between the Operations team and external accounting services, as required
- Providing monthly updates with project managers and the operations team about the expenditure and revenue of the projects
- Conducting weekly check-ins with the Board of Directors to communicate the current financial status of DPA
- Coordinating efforts with the Operations Officer to reduce costs, improve the expenditure of DPA, and assist management in the decision-making process by preparing budgets and financial forecasts
- Other tasks as required
- This position can be full-time or part-time, depending on availability and need.
- Accountant with at least 3-5 years of relevant professional experience, with a strong preference for non-profit or consulting accounting experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting or other related fields. A Master’s degree is highly desirable
- Demonstrated experience in project budgeting, nonprofit work and financial management.
- Experience managing budgets and coordinating complex projects and teams.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the capacity to prioritize and manage information.
- Ability to work with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to multitask, while being proactive, analytical and organized.
- Knowledge of tax laws and financial regulations in Mexico and the United States.
- Excel advanced level (knowledge of formulas, creation of work plans, budgets, tables, etc.)
- Comfortable with remote teams and processes.
- High interpersonal, communication, solving-problem and adaptability skills.
- Fluent in English and Spanish (with excellent writing and communication skills in both). Working proficiency or more in French is highly desirable.
- Strong interest in the development and growth of nonprofits, human rights, gender, social inequality, public policy, and related topics, desirable.
- Certified Public Accountants (CPA) in the USA are highly desirable.
Candidates should be able to work independently, manage their time wisely, and meet deadlines. They should be detail-focused, reliable, professional, and possess strong research, writing, editing, and analysis skills, as well as excellent communication, and interpersonal skills.
Remuneration and Benefits
Stated salary range is USD 2,000 – 3,000 per month for full-time work, depending on experience. DPA team members get 25 days of paid leave per year, accruable monthly, plus sick days and personal days.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a CV and a cover letter with two academic or work references to email@example.com with the subject line “R2022009_Accountant Application” by February 23, 2023, at 6:00 pm EST. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so early application is strongly encouraged.
Please note that only complete applications submitted entirely in English will be considered. Due to the large volume of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Data-Pop Alliance employs personnel without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap or financial ability. While remaining alert and sensitive to the issue of fair and equitable treatment for all, Data-Pop Alliance has a special concern with the participation and advancement of members of four designated groups that have traditionally been disadvantaged in employment: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.