Job Opportunity: Project and Research Manager - Senegal
Please kindly read the entire job posting. Application instructions are located at the end.
Data-Pop Alliance is looking for a Project and Research Manager based in Senegal. We are an international nonprofit created in 2013 out of the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI), the MIT Media Lab, and ODI. We bring together researchers, experts, practitioners, and activists to change the world with data through three pillars of work: diagnosing local realities and human problems with data and AI; mobilizing capacities, communities, and ideas towards more data-literate societies; and transforming the systems and processes that underpin our societies and countries.
DPA has partnered with and received funding from organizations such as the Inter-American Development Bank, UNDP, FAO, UN ESCWA, GIZ (German development agency), the Vodafone Institute, Oxfam México and other key international stakeholders to develop projects in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC), the Middle-East and North Africa (MENA), and Asia. To learn more about DPA, please visit our website or read our “Outlook and Overview” annual reports for 2019-20, 2020-22, and 2021-23.
DPA’s projects are managed and carried out by a core team of about 40 people, including Directors, Managers, Officers, Data Scientists, Research Assistants, and Interns.
Dates: Start date ASAP with a trial contract of 3 months to be followed by a longer-term contract, depending on mutual fit.
Scope of Work
The Project and Research Manager will be supported by Project Officers and program staff, and report to the Program Director. He, she or they will:
|1.Project Management (60%)|
|2. Research (40%)|
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience in project management.
- Master’s degree in public administration, project management, computer science, business administration, international development, or related fields.
- Proven experience in the project management cycle, team management and participatory planning methodologies.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the senegalese Data and Digital Ecosystem
- Good understanding of senegalese digital strategy (Senegal Numerique 2025)
- Knowledge and familiarity with quantitative and qualitative research methods, including data collection instrument design, implementation, data analysis and visualization.
- Knowledge of the Microsoft Office package and Google Workspace applications (Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc).
- knowledge of team communications and project management software (Slack, Asana, or similar).
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills in French and English
- Proven experience leading administrative processes, budgets, and operations.
- Proven leadership ability, including the ability to motivate and develop the skills of others.
- Knowledge, working experience and interest in the sustainable development field.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the capacity to prioritize and manage information.
- Proven ability to work in fast-paced dynamic work environments.
- Proven ability to engage with senior public officials.
- Experience working with grants, managing donors, and writing proposals.
- Ability to work with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- High interpersonal, communication, solving-problem and adaptability skills.
Candidates should be able to work independently, manage their time wisely, and meet deadlines. They should be detail-focused, reliable, professional, and possess strong research, writing, editing, and analysis skills, as well as excellent communication, and interpersonal skills.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience, within organization-wide salary norms.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a CV and a cover letter with two academic or work references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “R2022008_Project and Research Manager_Senegal Application” by February 10, 2023 at 6:00 pm EST. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so early application is strongly encouraged.
Please note that only complete applications submitted entirely in English will be considered. Due to the large volume of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Data-Pop Alliance employs personnel without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, physical and/or mental handicap or financial ability. While remaining alert and sensitive to the issue of fair and equitable treatment for all, Data-Pop Alliance has a special concern with the participation and advancement of members of four designated groups that have traditionally been disadvantaged in employment: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.